CSBH- RN House Supervisor-Days
Company: Strategic Behavioral Health
Posted on: May 6, 2020
CSBH- RN House Supervisor-Days
Job Location SBH - Kingsport - Kingsport, TN
Position Type Undisclosed
Education Level Undisclosed
Salary Range Undisclosed
Travel Percentage Undisclosed
Job Shift Undisclosed
Job Category Undisclosed
Director of Nursing
Chief Executive Officer Approval:
LADDER: ADMINISTRATIVE CATEGORY: CLINICAL
Under the direction of the Director of Nursing, the House
Supervisor is responsible for ensuring coordinated delivery of
patient care in accordance with the established standards of care,
mental health practice, hospital policy, goals and objectives. This
position assists in contributing to the hospitals philosophy,
objectives, educational and Performance Improvement efforts, while
providing support to the nursing staff on all units. The House
Supervisor will work a shift on a specific unit when all other
efforts in filling the shift with other personnel has been
Education / Licensure:
Candidate will possess an accredited and approved associates of
nursing degree with preference given to those with two (+) years of
behavioral health experience. SBH encourages all registered nurses
to obtain a bachelors degree in nursing or in the behavioral health
sciences OR meet requirements for national certification as a
psychiatric nurse within three years of employment.
Candidate will possess a valid current registered nursing license
from the State Board of Nursing or from a nurse compact state,
1) Comprehensive understanding of the approved scope of nursing
practice for advanced practice, registered nurses, licensed
vocational nurses, nursing assistants and non-licensed nursing
personnel; 2) Application of nursing standards and practice within
an acute psychiatric setting; 3) Ability to apply cultural
sensitivity and age specific competency to nursing practice; 4)
Effective respond and actively participate in a psychiatric crisis
to resolution; 5) Prepares documentation that reflects a
professional nursing perspective and 6) Coordinate care within a
multidisciplinary team framework.
Timely renew and maintain an active registered nursing license,
cardiopulmonary resuscitation for healthcare professionals
certification, professional skills verification and Handle with
Care (psychiatric crisis management) certification. Thorough
knowledge of JCAHO, CMS, OSHA, and state and federal regulatory
requirements. Proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
AGES and POPULATIONS SERVED
SBH provides access and services to all persons meeting admission
and continuing stay criteria without regards to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, national
origin, military status, veteran status, medical status, handicap
or mental/physical disability. Our patient population reflects the
fullest diversity of the community in which we serve. All staff are
to conduct themselves with respect and consideration for others,
and to appropriately intervene in situations below this
Child (age 1 12 years): [ x ] YES [ ] NO Verified 00/00/00
Adolescent (age years): [ x ] YES [ ] NO Verified 00/00/00
Adult (age years): [ x ] YES [ ] NO Verified 00/00/00
Geriatric (age 65 years +): [ x ] YES [ ] NO Verified 00/00/00
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In-person and telephone communication is consistently
attentive, responsive and reflects helpfulness.
- Professional awareness and boundaries are observed. Unnecessary
self-disclosure is minimized.
- Telephones are answered by the third ring whenever possible and
a professional greeting. Dedicated extensions/mobile phones with
voice mail have a personalized greeting, and messages
retrieved/responded to in a timely manner.
- Critical customer encounters are met with advanced customer
service skills and resolved. Leadership:
- Works in a collaborative and supportive fashion with Medical
Staff Leadership, Administration and Department Heads to fulfill
the mission and pledge to service excellence at the Strategic
- Assist the Director of Nursing in planning, developing and
executing patient care services to result in quality patient
- Prepares agendas, formulates/reviews quality data, presents
and/or facilitates assigned meetings.
- Knowledgeable of the Joint Commission Accreditation, North
Carolina Facility Licensing Standards, Board of Nursing, hospital
policies and other legal compliance requirements related to the
assigned patient population. In the absence of the DON can
interpret and apply this knowledge as well as guide others.
- Serves as back-up to the Director of Nursing as assigned.
Managing and Supervising:
- Closely monitors and ensure procedures intended to ensure a
safe milieu and accounts for all patients.
- Plans, orients, assigns and supervises patient care activities
of licensed nursing personnel and milieu personnel. Takes
initiative to reassign or redistribute personnel resources when
- Participates in the interview, selection, on-boarding and
retention of human resources.
- Maintains high visibility and accessibility to assigned staff,
patients and family members.
- Understands the foundational principles of the clinical program
and ensures prescribed services are carried out by qualified
- Confers with medical staff on non-routine patient care concerns
and clarifies medical orders to appropriate caregivers. Nursing
- Ensures all patients receive a comprehensive nursing assessment
within eight (8) hours of admission, admitting physician orders
completed and care plan initiated. Nursing reassessments are
performed to desirable standards and in accordance with
- Within the framework of trauma-informed care, assesses
appropriateness or attempts to incorporate self-soothing/less
restrictive measures, justification to initiate restrictive
intervention, post-intervention debriefing and completion of a
face-to-face nursing assessment in a timely fashion.
- Storage, accounting for and administration of medications /
medical equipment is safety performed. Removes from service
nonfunctioning equipment and initiates needed replacements.
Consults with medical staff or pharmacist when a side-effect or
error is suspected or detected.
- Documentation of care is individualized and consistent with
assessments/treatment plans. Progress notes and physicians orders
are dated/timed, legible, free of unapproved abbreviations and
signed with professional designation.
- Assigns staff or competently performs patient/family education,
counseling or discharge instructions.
- Participates in active surveillance of potential infectious
diseases/outbreaks and initiate control procedures.
- Holds self and others accountable for safety and quality
standards. Assesses staff competency to established criteria and
considers skill-set in making patient care assignments.
- Investigates and documents incidents and variations concerns in
a through and timely manner. When indicated initiates corrective
interventions, staff reeducation or certifies nursing
- Solid professional role model for licensed/non-licensed
personnel, facilitates cohesive teamwork and bridges healthy
- Effectively utilizes meaningful data to positively influence
quality indicators or improvement opportunities. Staffing:
- Acquainted with budgeted staffing parameters, use of electronic
PAF for replacing personnel and circumstances to adjust staffing
assignments/level. Proactively addresses situations influencing
- Utilizes Paycom to manage compensable time, requisition staff,
approve time off and support staff schedules.
- Knowledgeable of human resource policies and practices, seeks
HR consultation and performs routine personnel actions.
- Staff injuries beyond first aid are documented on the first
report of injury and referred according to policy.
- Staff request for breaks and scheduled time-off are managed
equitably. Medical Records and Confidential Communication
- Appropriately considers the sensitivity and confidentiality of
medical/psychiatric information along with the need-to-know before
sharing information with others.
- Medical records entries are legible, errors minimized, timely
completed and include signature with professional designation.
Users of computer aided records should not share passwords and
signoff to reduce unauthorized utilization.
- Medical records of deficiencies are minimized, and when
identified, corrected as soon as practical. Note: The essential job
functions of this position are not limited to the duties listed
DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
Environment: Located in an indoor climate controlled environment
with constant exposure to patients with a psychiatric diagnosis
along with medical complications. Patient acuity will at times
increase environmental stressors and sound volume...... click apply
for full job details
Keywords: Strategic Behavioral Health, Kingsport , CSBH- RN House Supervisor-Days, Healthcare , Kingsport, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!